But he stood as one of the game’s top players from 1949-1952, finishing in the Majors’ top 3 in Wins Above Replacement for four straight seasons. Not shown (and less important, obviously): 1947 also marked the first year Rickey employed a statistical analyst, and decades before the events depicted in Moneyball, Rickey sung the praises of players who got on base. He played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Chicago Cubs, Brooklyn Dodgers, Boston Braves, New York Giants, and St. Louis Cardinals between 1943 and 1953. If you are familiar with the Robinson story, this movie won’t add much to your knowledge. But I thought the best by far -- one of my favorite ever sports portrayals in any movie -- was John C. McGinley’s Red Barber.

Pee Wee Reese: In the film, the popular Dodgers captain and Kentucky native contributed to Robinson’s acceptance in the majors by putting his arm around his teammate in front of a harsh Cincinnati crowd – a moment enshrined in baseball legend and in a statue outside Brooklyn’s MCU Park. Though raised Catholic, in 2011 Branca learned from a New York Times reporter that his mother was Jewish, a fact she kept secret while raising him and his 16 siblings to be tolerant of all races and religions.

The point is that Eddie Stanky was a complicated man. “I’m telling you I was there and I heard nothing out of line. Career Wins Above Replacement: 61.4, despite not entering the big leagues until he was 28 years old. But one thing Eddie Stanky understood was loyalty and the importance of fighting for a teammate. 5-8, 170lb (173cm, 77kg) Born: September 3, 1915 in Philadelphia, PA us. Awards and accolades: Stanky made All-Star teams in 1947, 1948 and 1950. “Thank you,” he once said after receiving an award, “for recognizing my intangibles.”. Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson in 1949.

It is a movie cast in bold colors, a movie where racists are unabashed and heroes are undeterred. He returned to the professional arena briefly in 1977 as manager of the Texas Rangers, succeeding Frank Lucchesi in midseason.
By the end of that season all but four teams were integrated. After only a handful of appearances in 1948, Bragan was released in favor of African-American catcher and future Hall of Famer Ralph Campanella and accepted a job managing the Dodgers' minor league team in Fort Worth.

He called up the manager of the Cardinals for confirmation. Northeast Manual Training School (Philadelphia, PA). Are you a Stathead, too? Talk of any objections from New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio were put to rest when he tweeted Friday afternoon that the Mets can proceed with the sale. But when he went back to tell Robinson what Stanky said -- and I always thought this was the most powerful exchange in the entire book -- Robinson responded: “Do I need publicity? Died: June 6, 1999 in Fairhope, AL. Most people will come into this movie not looking for shading or historical preciseness or surprising detail but instead looking to cheer and admire and, more than anything, to be inspired. So, with the help of baseball-reference.com, here's a look at the playing careers of the film's most notable good guys (or improved guys).

Stanky was a gritty, scrappy player, not gifted with natural talent. from the SABR BioProject, More Eddie Stanky Pages at Baseball Reference, Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Monday, November 2, 10:57PM. He was so good, I found myself wishing the whole movie was seen through his eyes. But he was young and thought it was a story of two equal sides. Fun fact: Reese started as a minor leaguer for the Red Sox, but was traded to the Dodgers in 1939 due in part to negative scouting reports from then-Red Sox shortstop/manager Joe Cronin. There was also an exchange of gratitude between Robinson and Stanky. In 1968, the White Sox got off to a terrible start, losing their first ten games (extending their regular-season losing streak to 15 games dating from 1967).