, Thank you Nami! Make the meatballs by mixing all the ingredients and rolling small balls. If you can find GEHAKT KRUIDEN, thats all you need in your met balltjes. Ena Scheerstra has a lifelong love for food and cooking, starting to collect cookbooks at age 10. Seeing your recipe has brought back many fond memories I can still taste mums soup. . Generally these are only available with Sinterklaas…, My daughter pointed me in your direction. I use ground turkey to make the meatballs. These are really delicious and easy to make. I’m Dutch but live in South Africa and enjoy your Dutch recipes. Dutch Meatball Soup. Add the meatballs to the soup, just before serving or in the individual serving bowls. I make a blend of both sides for my own recipe which is almost exactly the same as this. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. That looks absolutely perfect for a cold day like today – and not fussy at all. They were large (about the size of a salad plate), thick (about 1/4 inch) and crispy and crunchy. Vegetable soup (‘groentesoep’) is a clear soup, based on a vegetable or beef stock, filled with several vegetables, and sometimes vermicelli and meatballs (‘met balletjes’). Skim as needed. Last Updated on November 13, 2019 by Chef Mireille. © 2020 HONEST COOKING MAGAZINE. My husband was the same! How will I make this soup with Asian spices?? I share easy recipes using fresh, seasonal ingredients that are big on flavour and (mostly) healthy. It can be accompanied by or garnished with pieces of whole, roasted vegetables, bacon bits, a drizzle of olive oil (or truffle oil, as a friend of mine suggested.. she’s the garnish queen, so I would take her advice! Required fields are marked *. Check for taste, add salt and/or pepper if needed. You’re not alone – I’ve never made tomato soup from scratch. . And yes, my husband was delighted with his Dutch soup! As a kid I called ball cheese soup, and always questioned why it didn’t have balls of cheese in it. Now he wants to make this soup again! I hope I do your recipe and my mums memory justice . I’ve been caught in the rain before and it’s not fun at all! Oh dear! Over low heat, cook about 10 minutes, until … Add water if it is too thick (the soup should be thicker than broth, but thinner than tomato sauce). However, in my quest for the proper ingredients of the soup, I ran into the advice of Mark Sisson. Is this similar to the Honig Groentesoep? I just made this tonight after seeing the recipe this afternoon, and it was sooo good! Thank you for sharing! Cook and stir meatballs in hot butter until browned on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Welcome to our new and improved website. It became a full meal. Remove from heat and top with parsley and chives. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I only link to products that I use and/or highly recommend. Add the peeled tomatoes, water, and bay leaf. Perfect for a cold day. If you go to a Dutch specialty store in our city, you’ll find Scott buying boxes of powdered soup mix. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are folk-tender and meatballs are cooked through. Here in the states you can sometimes run across the little windmill cookies that have a similar taste. Your email address will not be published. It was very simple to make and turned out delicious. Reduce to a simmer and cook until  vegetables are tender. Love the homemade meatballs too (that I’d make from scratch..hehee). ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I made some from the package yesterday and it tastes like home. Add the green herbs and season to taste with salt. You can slice the vegetables that will fill the soup coarse or finely, according to your preference. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are fork-tender and meatballs are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Mix together ground beef and seasonings. Holland's cuisine knows many soups, from the sturdy thick split pea soup to a brothy, light, appetite-arousing groentesoep , or vegetable soup, like today's recipe. This can also slightly happen even after frying.