There’s a whole generation of loved ones out there like me who are determined to keep the Stooges' legacy alive. Featured Image by Columbia Pictures / lunkhead.net / Public Domain. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Like Shemp, the team of Howard, Fine, and Howard were weary of Healy's drinking and abrasive personality and renamed their act "The Three Stooges". Moe his daughter Joan Howard Maurer and son Paul Howard on the set. An introvert, he generally kept to himself, rarely socializing with people unless he had been drinking (a habit to which he would increasingly turn as the stresses of his career grew). Shemp and subsequent Stooges Joe Besser and Joe DeRita (referred to during his stint with the Stooges as "Curly Joe DeRita") each starred in their own solo series of theatrical short subjects. It was the only film that featured Larry Fine and all three Howard brothers – Moe, Shemp, and Curly – simultaneously; director White later said he spontaneously staged the bit during Curly's impromptu visit to the soundstage: It was a spur-of-the-moment idea. Curly Howard was of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. Howard refrained from engaging in the antics for which he became famous unless he was with family, performing for an audience, or intoxicated. OK, I must admit that I have read Moe's autobiography and now Curly's biography. Then she would take his money and run off. Howard was married to Elaine Ackerman, Server’s grandmother, from 1937 until 1940. ", Motion Picture and Television Country House and Hospital, Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital, "Jeff Lenburg, Joan Howard Maurer, Greg Lenburg - Google Books", Curly: An Illustrated Biography of the Superstooge, Curly Howard at The Three Stooges Official Website, The life and sad ending of Curly Howard of "The Three Stooges", List of supporting actors in Three Stooges films, Yogi Bear and the Three Stooges Meet the Mad, Mad, Mad Dr. No-No, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Curly_Howard&oldid=979688198, American people of Lithuanian-Jewish descent, Short description is different from Wikidata, Turner Classic Movies person ID same as Wikidata, Internet Broadway Database person ID same as Wikidata, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk" – Curly Howard's trademark laugh, accompanied by manic finger-snapping, often used to amuse himself, "Woob, woob, woob!" ELIZABETH TAYLOR’S ASSISTANT TALKS LATE STAR’S FINAL YEARS, WHY HER ESTATE IS AUCTIONING OFF PERSONAL ITEMS, Brad Server's mother visiting her father, Curly Howard. He also liked to hang around backstage, although he never participated in any of the routines. And his work, even today, still speaks for itself. [1] In later years, White commented: "If we wrote a scene and needed a little something extra, I'd say to Curly, 'Look, we've got a gap to fill this in with a "woob-woob" or some other bit of business', and he never disappointed us."[2].