#instatravel #farmcats #friesland #leeuwarden, A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs) on Oct 14, 2019 at 10:59am PDT. Check your inbox or spam folder now to confirm your subscription. It is about 1 hour and 30 minutes by car from the center of Amsterdam. The best cows to select for a round of cuddling are those that are laying down. As a child riding in the car with my aunt and uncle, I’d always point to pastures and say, “Mooooo Cow.” It was sort of a rite-of-passage for us kids in rural communities and the giggles would fill the silence as we drove from place to place, past one pasture after another. If you enabled this API recently, wait a few minutes for the action to propagate to our systems and retry. Then something moving happens. . Then, the highlight of our visit has arrived. Her manner is very calm and zen. It really makes me happy you guys are venturing beyond the major cities in the west such as Rotterdam and Amsterdam and show the world the peripheral provinces that tend not to get attention.
This is why the whole vicious circle needs to stop. Because “it breathes” and you don’t sweat or something? In parts of the Netherlands, cow cuddling is offered as part of half-day visits, and is part of a larger movement to connect people with country life. Then, it is time to walk back to the farmhouse to hose down our boots and enjoy some drinks and snacks. It’s a fitting attribute for these beautiful creatures. Click here to learn more about us and Say Yes To New Adventures! Add this to your agenda NOW! I feel completely rejuvenated. The ones that are not ruminating are most receptive to relaxing together.” She shows us how to kneel in front of the cow and to slowly approach its face. One can’t eat a “friend of a friend.” • Video at: https://youtu.be/dA9SINN5s4A • Thank you again, @visit_holland! It is quite fascinating to see a cow calmly walking into the robot. You will be provided with rubber boots and an overall that you can wear on top of your own clothes (so it is most practical to wear pants instead of a dress or a skirt). After my cuddling companion wakes up, I get up to walk around a little and “try” other cows that are lying here and there in the field. But I learned very quickly about the great care and love the family Holtrop gives to their cows. It seems that the practice originated here in the Netherlands, which is not surprising considering the country is one of the world’s largest exporters of dairy products, and, therefore, home to a lot of cows. It is truly a one-of-a-kind experience, even for a Dutch person like myself! I thought that after feeding wild hyenas, hanging with mountain gorillas, and swimming with whale sharks, big beasts wouldn’t faze me that much anymore. After the cow cuddling activity was introduced on this farm, the cows have started to produce considerably more milk than they did before. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our. . Why hug a tree when you can cuddle with a cow? We have worked very hard to make these animals accustomed to visitors”. A part of me was hesitant to venture to the farm. After Nicolette’s demonstration, each of us spread throughout the pasture to find a suitable cattle companion. These are large and airy, with free access to the pastures outdoors. Besides admiring them from afar or enjoying their dairy products, there is an opportunity to meet them up close and personal. Guy, yarn crafter here. And then we saw them: More than 200 cows eating, laying, grazing and generally hanging out. Fast forward a few decades and that distance — me to window to road to cow — remained the closest I’d ever been to our bovine friends. They’re all milk cows — aka, females who provide milk — and no bulls live on the farm. Nicolette explains how she often hears children say that they believe milk is created in factories. Required fields are marked *. It is my first up-close encounter with a cow, and I am slightly nervous. They actually select (based on character) and raise a part of their cows as extra human friendly. but I do want to make a conscious effort to at least seek out alternative options where I can. So when we arrived at the farm where our cow cuddling initiation was going to take place, a comforting sense of nostalgia washed over me. They are all very calm and gentle. Their jaws continue to chew and with their eyes they follow our motions, but they won’t move an inch as we pass by.

I was overwhelmed by these creatures and the pure love in their hearts. A plus? https://youtu.be/PtAFHyXS31M. Next, Nicolette shows us the main stables. And, perhaps more importantly, to avoid any spillage from the cows who, let’s face it, defecate rather frequently! “Don’t try this with just any cow you might encounter!” she warns us. Our arrival at the farm felt like a homecoming. . But don’t worry if the weather is not in your favour. It’s so that the women can live in peace without the constant tension that comes with horny bulls running about. They almost seem like an extension of their own family. All images on www.wiwibloggs.com are readily available on the internet and believed to be in public domain. Kastanje Hoeve owners Gerard and Els speak English! Although today’s purpose is relaxation, a farm is definitely not a beauty spa. So much so that they were greeted by two #kitties when they arrived at #Boerderijrecreatie for a #cowhugging adventure ? Within seconds, the most adorable black and white kitten came bounding towards us. Remember to check out and then check in again at Apeldoorn station, because you will be switching transport providers. Alternatively, you can get there quite easily by train. Pack your bags and slip into your overalls — we’re headed to the farm! Images posted are believed to be published according to the U.S Copyright Fair Use Act (title 17, U.S.
We don the rubber boots and farmer’s overall that are provide. They are a couple of months old. As a child riding in the car with my aunt and uncle, I’d always point to pastures and say, “Mooooo Cow.” It was sort of a rite-of-passage for us kids in rural communities and the giggles would fill the silence as we drove from place to place, past one pasture after another. Cheese and Clog Making. The cows here are clearly loved by the farmer and his staff, and they are well taken care of. Bringing a companion is included in this price; the third and fourth friend who come along will pay €10 each. According to neurologist Shekar Raman, MD: “…it doesn’t matter if you’re the toucher or touchee. Suzanne: “He was followed by a sleek black, white and caramel girl, also excited (to) meet us.” Me: “Damn, The Netherlands sure is multi-racial, and I thought South Africa was the rainbow nation!” Suzanne: “She jumped into my arms and did not want to be put down.

When we were young, our parents would also take us on annual camping trips to a dairy farm. “When their jaws are moving, they are hard at work. I picked him up and he began to purr. We are ready to meet our mooing mates! We were provided with adorable overalls — I think y’all Europeans call them dungarees? They also obviously enjoy the human companionship.

), I could feel our hearts beating in sync. Years of eating veggies, just to provide food for a family’s Christmas dinner. They have tools to scratch their backs and there is pop music playing in the background. I thought that after feeding wild hyenas, hanging with mountain gorillas, and swimming with whale sharks, big beasts wouldn’t faze me that much anymore.