asked Jan 18 '18 at 21:32.

Therefore, the animals listed in the trade goods section are more likely to be young animals. report. They cover your accommodations, food and drink, and all your other necessities. Cost Goods; 1 cp: 1 lb. Then again, if every Forgotten Realms citizen is on a pork/beef and grain diet we might conclude that the low price of pork is due to some serious price war type stuff. At least cows and hens give milk/eggs. The players had just come home from a hunting trip with the carcasses of four deer. If a merchant had full grown animals to sell, he wouldn't. This makes the value of a full-grown pig about 90gp. Cattle (5e Creature) From D&D Wiki.

Update your cookie preferences. save. On top of the fact that you need to feed and care for the pig before slaughter, you also need a trained butcher, and then someone who can cook the meat. 5th ed is a lot better than previous editions though, since you don't have that nonsense gold curve to get the magic items you need. of cotton cloth, 1 lb. of cheese One salted herring : One goose 1 sp: 1 lb. (They came out with something like 300gp, which I wasn't so sure of, but I let it be.). This is why I love this game. But to be sure, I checked the Trade Goods list, where I found that one living pig is valued at... 2gp.Holy woah. The "pig" listed in the trade goods section is a pig, and a trade good.

You do realize that you can't just kill a pig and then hack it to pieces, right? omg I thought the arbitrage from grain to beer was pretty good...my next character is totally taking the Guild Artisan/butcher background.

I only used 3.5 to check the weight of the meat chunk. When I have it ready, I might link it on the subreddit so it can be less scary or others to deal with! yd.

of copper or 1 sq. If you want a nice economic system, Grain to Gold does a pretty good job of breaking everything down for you. yd. Buying animals in 5e? of beef or mutton 1 lb. But a pig in the middle ages? Not forced fed growth hormones and kept on a slightly lean diet because you can't just have it eat your entire winter stock of food? Exactly. I'd probably make all small birds just use the chicken price (2 cp), but for an exotic, talking bird like a parrot, maybe something like 5 gp.

So using worst case scenario ($70 pig, processed to be something equivalent to chunks of meat at $895) that puts the increase from live pig to meat 1278% markup, average case is 2237%, and best case is 17900%. Also, that 150lb of usable meat is both a figure from modern genetically-engineered pigs and using modern meat-harvesting tools. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Chickens, funnily enough, come out to about 2cp, their listed price, when compared to pig prices, which makes me feel like I'm not the first one doing this math. You'll need salt (pretty fucking expensive) to store the meat, and so forth. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. A place to discuss the latest version of Dungeons and Dragons, the fifth edition, known during the playtest as D&D Next. It's worth 3sp in both versions. The 3 silver per half pound of meat chunks applies to prepared meat that goes on a plate. They also help us understand how our site is being used. Updated Dynamic Lighting now does as much and even more than our legacy system! Maybe without a commodities market the actual price of a pig is way lower/higher than its true value? I was looking at the PHB equipment tables earlier, and flipped the page to find prices for livestock, such as pigs, goats, and cows. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies.

Even if we assume the bought-and-sold pig is only 100lbs, that's still 36gp worth of pork.

Roll20 Reserve is live with monthly perks for Pro Subscribers. The seeming incongruity isn't as off as you may think it is. I agree with the "piglet" theory. Then, from the DND 3.5e PHB (5e doesn't provide the weight of a meat chunk) I learned that a pound of meat is valued at 6sp. Up to your dm, ask them. Which places a parakeet, talking or otherwise, at about 2cp. of canvas: 5 sp: 1 lb. of linen: 10 gp: 1 sq. But to be sure, I checked the Trade Goods list, where I found that one living pig is valued at... 2gp. Pre-order Tasha's Cauldron of Everything now!

An ordinary parrot I'd say 2gp, a talking one 5gp. 1 lb. 2,994 2 2 gold badges 18 18 silver badges 45 45 bronze badges \$\endgroup\$ 7 \$\begingroup\$ "This question does not show research effort" is the tooltip on downvotes.

Arms, Armor, and Other Equipment: As a general rule, undamaged weapons, armor, and other equipment fetch half their cost when sold in a market. Then, you have to care for it. If it dies before reaching a weight that you can make a tidy profit off of, then you lost the money on the pig, and all the feed you gave it up until this point. Press J to jump to the feed. But to be sure, I checked the Trade Goods list, where I found that one living pig is valued at... 2gp. Things that just serve as stock significantly less.

231k 38 38 gold badges 741 741 silver badges 1000 1000 bronze badges. of copper or 1 sq. The problem was looking to 3.5 for prices. In addition to the points brought up elsewhere in the thread, you're using modern standards for the average yield of a farm pig.

This makes the value of a full-grown pig about 90gp. Butchery is job that takes skill and practice.

Because 1 copper piece is approximately 1 dollar, that's the pricing you should be looking at. At the time, I had no idea what to do with the values of these, so I just kinda let my players figure out the prices on their own.

Cookies help us deliver our Services.
The most complex financial instrument is interest, plain and simple. To put together what I'm seeing here from the first 42 comments, I've learned: The pigs listed as potential trade goods are most likely piglets, not even close to slaughtering age. Meat is worth a lot more money when it is fancily cooked than when it is raw. of silver or 1 sq. As in everyone has a swarm of pigs. Pigs have been selectively bred for hundreds (if not thousands) of years to be bigger and fatter, not to mention the special feed (and occasional growth hormones) they're given. http://littlepigfarm.com/how-much-is-a-pig/. 2 5e Services; 3 5e Food; 4 5e Drink; Trade Goods. Upkeep of the beast alone would probably run him multiple silver pieces in feed per day. Figure that Forgotten Realms, for example, still hasn't undergone the major financial revolution where we begin to see things like water bonds, futures, commodities. root vegetables 1 lb. Making custom character sheets is easier than ever with a special, streamlined game type to build and test them! Armor Class 10 (natural armour) Hit Points 22 (3d10 + 6) Speed 40 ft. STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA; 16 (+3) 8 (-1) 14 (+2) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 6 (-2) Senses passive Perception 10 Languages — Challenge 1/4 (50 XP) Charge. dnd-5e animals pricing. Feel free to list fair prices for any animal, really, I just have 12gp I need to lose. share. of salt: 1 sp: 1 lb.

of cinnamon or pepper, or one sheep. I've worked in a butcher shop, using modern tools, we get a lot of meat from our genetically selected meatmountains of pigs. That's 3 weeks' pay for a single sheep.

of ginger or one goat: 2 gp: 1 lb. To deal with this issue, today I went and started working on a table to help find the real value of any given carcass, using the pig as the base for meat since they should be common plate-material. of dried fruit 1 lb. of rice: One ashlar block: 2 cp: Two dozen eggs 1 lb.

5th Edition. This has the makings a new BBEG who is trying to tank the price of pork and acquire as many pigs as possible, so that when he engineers a pig-plague among regional competitors he's the guy with all the meat and everyone comes running with gold in-hand.

I'm no medieval farmer, but I would have to guess that modern pigs are much, much larger than medieval pigs were. Skip to Content. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. Terms of Service and Privacy Policy Update. share | improve this question | follow | edited Jan 19 '18 at 17:04.

Buying a pig for 2 gp might represent the riskless value of a baby swine or a runt at best. of cinnamon or pepper, or one sheep: 3 gp: 1 lb. Now, my question is how much different animals would cost, such as a hunting dog, or a parrot.

yd.

On Social Media: Roll20® is a Registered Trademark of The Orr Group, LLC. Then, from the DND 3.5e PHB (5e doesn't provide the weight of a meat chunk) I learned that a pound of meat is valued at 6sp. Our way of saying thanks! of fungi: 1 lb.

of coal 5 cp: 1 lb. And if you want a bit of a lightweight version, check out The Three Economies of D&D.
yd. The other day, I was DMing 5e. An animal carcass is actually worth very little until it is slaughtered. EDIT:Wow, lots of responses from this.