College Algebra, by Jay Abramson, would work extremely well for an online course, and we may see a few this semester! 1, so that they could be corrected. The topics are presented in a logical order and building in each other concept-wise. The College Algebra textbook contains a wide range of topics that we currently cover in our College Algebra course, such as polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions. Before the following issues are resolved, it's hard for me to use it in my classes: The textbook contains no errors as I read through the examples, or in the section exercises and their solutions. The table of contents (in both the online and PDF versions) is very useful, considering it provides links that allow you to jump straight to a specific section. Terminology is used in a consistent way throughout the chapters. There are portions of the text that are vastly more approachable in their discussion of ideas and concepts than is common, and those, like the semi-frequent Q&A asides are where the text is at its best. It is this organization/process that makes the book clear and easy to learn from. Throughout the text, the authors’ take the time to concisely explain the subject matter in natural language. And the textbook does not... The online text’s graphs and visuals are great, but the tables really need better visual clarity. It has extensive review material as well. Description. The links within the text that allow the user to jump to specific locations in the text (as opposed to excessive scrolling and manual searching) are quite useful. The latter is also included in 4.1 Linear Functions). I have used several textbooks for college algebra and find this textbook to be just as good or better than ones with high price tags, so being free to students makes it a good choice. The textbook has a way to receive feedback (reporting errors), but the link to report error is not available when you are reading the textbook. The text has a large index of terms, properties and theorems. Any instructor teaching a college algebra class will find this text to be the perfect level of comprehensiveness. The authors begin every section with clear expectations of learning objectives and then addresses each one of those objectives systematically including a “how to” section followed by examples showing students how to work problems followed by a “try it” section (with answers in the back of the book) allowing students to try their hand at problems. Download College Algebra (10th Edition) Pdf in PDF and EPUB Formats for free. Thank you for putting such a fantastic resource together for students and professors. The content of college algebra has for the most part remained unchanged for years. The content is timeless. So, boost the size of the text of the eBook while reading it on the display. However, we do not cover both topics in current semester (15 weeks) course. The index at the end of the book is also very useful, utilizing the links to quickly jump to specific pages where key terms are referenced. The language and organization of the text is excellent. I’m unclear why the online reader’s top ‘frame’ is eating as much screen space as it does. The text is very consistent in it’s approach to explanations and student engagement. Often there are Q & A sections included that address the most common conceptual questions that instructors are asked by inquisitive students in the classroom. Reasonings to why a specific method is used while finding the answer is given and that should eliminate the need of any outside sources. Sections within each chapter break up the material such that it can be covered in a single class session. The text is consistent in layout and approach to topics. The scenarios in which the content is applied are reasonably relevant. The book is extremely consistent in its framework. The section numbering system, however, is not consistent between the online and PDF versions, causing slight confusion (e.g. Compared to the textbook currently in use by my institution, I would need to supplement a brief section on circles which serves as a reinforcement of the completing-the-square skill. Specialized issues One difficulty on eBook readers with LCD screens is that it is not going to take long before you try your eyes from reading. In looking over this text, I did find two errors, one in the solution to Section 3.1, Ex. The text has a large index of terms, properties and theorems. The online version has more capabilities such as hypermedia links to key concepts, “show solution” option right under each question, and a glossary at the end of each section. I have not encountered any grammatical errors while reading through the textbook. As we described the text seems to written for easier access to students. The textbook covers regression for linear, exponential and logarithm functions, but not for polynomial functions. The textbook’s online version has solutions which can be toggled. Please use the link provided below to generate a unique download link which is valid for 24hrs. If there is any room for improvement in this text this would be the area. Colors for text, fonts, headings are all appropriate and help to focus the reader's attention to what is truly important. Every section uses worked and explained examples to showcase ideas and has a full set of practice exercises. The learning objectives are in bold print. The authors have worked very hard to eliminate errors from this text. Below are the top 5 benefits if studying online you should know. The table of contents contains easy and clear links to chapters and sections (even the PDF has links!). The search bar is a very nice feature and appears robust. The error doesn’t happen when I switch to Chrome. College Algebra provides a comprehensive and multi-layered exploration of algebraic principles. There’s certainly more than a semester’s worth of material here and it would be fairly straightforward to pick and choose sections to tilt the text towards prefers topics. Every section has a few extension questions, but there are few questions that would count as "Rich Mathematical Tasks" or demanding critical thinking. Reviewed by Xiaolong Yao, Math Instructor, Portland Community College on 5/21/18, This textbook covers all topics in college algebra, with many chapters to review pre-requisite knowledge, including solving linear equations, factoring, solving quadratic equations and graphing quadratic functions. I look forward to adopting this text for my college algebra sections. If the text-to-speech program doesn’t struggle, then I am more confident in the overall readability for a general audience. Reviewed by Jamie Wirth, Assistant Professor, Valley City State University on 1/7/16, The content of the text is quite comprehensive and certainly includes the relevant content that would be expected of a college algebra text. Get Free College Algebra Textbook Pdf now and use College Algebra Textbook Pdf immediately to get % off or $ off or free shipping There are Extensions and Real World Applications as well. It is a most common issue that most of the people usually tolerate while using an eBook. Overall I find the text more accessible than a standard math text. Instructors who have a need to... College Algebra includes all the topics critical to a college algebra course, including review topics. The textbook contains all standard topics in modern College Algebra textbooks. Math jargon can be overwhelming and frequently the text and does extra work to clarify or define terms. The jargon and technical terminology is perfect for a text at this level and teaches what needs to be taught. The book is organized and logical in order. Also, multiplying binomials and FOIL are introduced in 1.5, but the skill is needed in 1.3 when denominators are rationalized using conjugates. Math textbooks are not easy reads for students, and I think most of mine would wish this had more examples with explained steps. However, there exist some techniques that can help the readers to really have a good and powerful reading experience. The concepts of the textbook are clearly explained. 2. Reviewed by Zachary McLaughlin-Alcock, Lecturer, Pennsylvania State University Abington on 2/1/18, The text covers the full-set of expected material from a college algebra course with an emphasis on functions. This is a bit too much to asking for the mathematics text. I’m sure I found that more interesting than people will 20 years from now. Important procedures and strategies are summarized in grey boxes. If it’s essential buy every the bodily textual content material and MyMathLab, search for: 0321979494 / 9780321979490 College Algebra Plus MyMathLab with eText — Entry Card Package deal deal Package deal deal consists of: 0321431308 / 9780321431301 MyMathLab — Glue-in Entry Card 0321654064 / 9780321654069 MyMathLab Inside Star Sticker 0321979478 / 9780321979476 College Algebra. Content-wise, the author does a great job of planting seeds early on for future learning. A wealth of examples – usually several dozen per chapter – offer detailed, conceptual explanations, in order to build in students a strong, cumulative foundation in the material before asking them to apply what they've learned. I see no reason why the types of questions and approaches the authors take will not make for a long lasting and relevant text. This is not a scientific process, but merely a way to inform my opinion. Most commonly, it occurs when the brand new readers quit utilizing the eBooks as they're not able to use them with the appropriate and effectual fashion of reading these books. I just thought that this could be enhanced by adding more hyperlinks for YouTube videos next to each example. I didn’t notice any egregious typos or grammatical mishaps. Otherwise, the navigation is quite user-friendly. The textbook’s online version has errors in figure referencing. I like the feature and students will appreciate the feature. Many things link in the online reader, but are missing specific labels. I did not observe any mathematical errors, and the text’s error submission page appears impressively attended and well kept. The text is organized in a logical and consistent format while reading within topics. I have not come across anything in the text that raises concerns or questions related to cultural relevance. For example the authors introduce some simple transformations during the study of linear graphs before formally learning all of the other transformations in a later chapter. But if you are going to include such a section, then there should be some sort of discussion as to why you only need constant placeholders when dealing with linear factors in the denominator and why you need linear place holders when you have irreducible quadratics in the denominator. It's possible for you to try many strategies to turn the pages of eBook to improve your reading experience. The exercise sets... The PDF version has numbers on the section exercises whereas the online version has links to selected solutions but does not have exercises numbers, which can be confusing. read more. The explanations are thorough yet not overly verbose. You should not make use of the eBook continually for a lot of hours without breaks. Within each idea there is an appropriate level of both mathematical rigor and application. By using different techniques of page turn you can also enhance your eBook encounter. Furthermore, the use of real world examples in the chapter and the homework as informational/motivational pieces at the beginning of chapters are relevant and contain recent enough that students won't feel like they're reading a textbook from some other decade. To register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering merchandise, you may also need a Course ID, which your instructor will current. I did do a little reorganizing of the text. Reviewed by Namyong Lee, Professor, Minnesota State University, Mankato on 6/19/18, The textbook contains all standard topics in modern College Algebra textbooks. Within each chapter, examples and explanations are logical and flow easily from easy to more difficult.