>   Click here to view all my online courses. This is just one of the many things I need for weightlifting (Power rack, more weight plates, this, ect.) Differences in elbow joint sagittal plane range of motion between chin-ups and pull-ups were statistically ambiguous.

What an awesome and inspiring article man! Another thing to consider is a person’s (especially an overhead athlete’s)tolerance for loaded closed chain forearm supination (seen in a chin up while on the bar). […] his site regarding the use of electromyography (EMG) to validate or invalidate exercise selection (ChinUp vs. Pullup & Front vs. Back squat), I thought I’d pull together my own thoughts as to why coaches, […], […] answer…it depends. 170+ home exercises to choose from, with video examples for each. I am used to doing pull ups using roman rings (two rings hanging from ceiling with ropes).

So then, which will work better and faster for you?

Been doing them almost every day back in school.

But, it will all hit your biceps just fine anyway. I came across Double-X by Nutrilite.

I don’t usually comment on websites, but man, that’s a very well written piece, the flow of details and thoughts is excellent and easy to understand!

I think there is nothing wrong with doing a high volume of sets twice a week, but the muscles have to be attacked at different angles. Snarr, R. L., Hallmark, A., Casey, J., Nickerson, B., & Esco, M. R. (2015). As you become stronger over time, you will be able to grip the towel lower and lower, allocating most of the load to the arm that is gripping the bar, until you can do completely without the arm on the towel grip. Mark – not a bad thought process for the general S&C population, maybe someone that is not concerned about anterior cross syndrome or the eccentric bicep load. Als Freerunner oder Kletterer sind dir Überhandgriffe vertrauter als Unterhandgriffe. For those worried about posture, shoulder function, and general athleticism, as well as for those that may have some shoulder pathology, the pull up may be the better option as you minimize pectoralis major activity and maximize lower trapezius muscle activity. Basically do a chin up with a 5 second isometric hold at the top, 90 degrees down, and 135 degrees down. >  Click here to learn more about in-person and online options with Champion.

Follow Tyler Thomas on Instagram.

And then from there, just gradually work to add reps. Great article hat dispels many shockingly prevalent myths about pull ups and chin ups, keep up the great work!

Great point about thoracic mobility, as well. Also, the uppermost fibers elevate the scapula (like a standard shrugging exercise) and the lowest fibers depress the scapula (push your shoulder blades down toward the ground). Since i developed this for myself several months go, i have drasticaly increased the number of pull ups i can do, and upper body strength. I felt the mid back- center area stiff upon starting this palms forward chin up work out. © 2020 T Nation LLC.

Historically it’s my bicep strength that has been the limiting factor on anything that require pulling. However, recent EMG testing shows that, while these differences definitely do exist, it’s not that significant and definitely not worthy of being the sole deciding factor in picking one exercise over the other. They are still providing that biceps stimulus just the same, only without creating the problems that would arise from trying to using a back exercise as a bicep exercise.

dont use a pull up asisst either. A general pattern of sequential activation occurred, suggesting that pull ups and chin ups were initiated by the lower trapezius and pectoralis major and completed with biceps brachii and latissimus doris … Other researchers found that lower trap activity was greater in the pull-up than in the chin-up. Do you think hand placement can also affect muscle recruitment? The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 24(12), 3404-3414. It was a great arm blast, but definitely over done.

Maybe 140 + for a heavy workout. Let’s say it’s on the left. I managed to do 9 chin ups. I need to read more on your site but this one article alone was worth the visit.

If you are weightlifting for good looks and to impress the ladies – looks like the chin up is best for you – high lat activity with greater biceps and pec activity.

If so, add weight.
Usually, you will see chinups performed with a closer grip than pullups and I think that reduces the effectiveness of the exercise.

Seems like it would be annoying/in the way to me. Because of the adduction function of the lats, grip width has an impact on recruitment of the lats. You will be alternating sides for the towel grip, of course. I believe you get better lat & lower trap recruitment by throwing the elbows out in front, and pulling the body up in an arc towards the bar.

That sucks man. Expert Insights To Get Stronger, Gain Muscle Faster, And Take Your Lifting To The Next Level, Tip: Build a Bigger Squat With This Exercise, The Most Dangerous Gym Equipment of All Time, Tip: The Squat That'll Revolutionize Your Training, Tip: One Exercise Isn't Enough for Hamstrings, 3 Powerhouse Exercises Better Than Benching, Tip: The Missing Exercise for a Stronger Bench, Tip: Make Your Shoulders Feel Good Right Now, Tip: Two Old-School Back & Biceps Builders, Trans Athletes: The Death Of Women's Sports, The Best Damn Workout Plan For Natural Lifters.

Click on the different category headings to find out more. I switched primarily to the chin up when I read Mike Mentzer’s HIT. I haven’t hurt my shoulders wide an extra wide grip, but if it’s not going to help to make my back any wider, there’s no point in doing them that way when a grip just beyond shoulder width makes it easier to get more reps in. In fact, for most guys, that’s a point they’ll never reach no matter how hard they try. Die Griffbreite entspricht der Schulterbreite. You are free to opt out any time or opt in for other cookies to get a better experience. The finish position for each trial had the participant just reaching their nose above the bar.

And as for my pullups, I will do as you say, use slightly wider than shoulder width. I have a recurrent shoulder dislocation problem, so chin-ups are way better / easier / safer for my shoulders than pull-ups. Conference paper. Normalerweise ist das Ende der Bewegung erreicht, wenn das Kinn über der Stange ist. Wenn du gerade erst damit anfängst Klimmzüge zu trainieren und dir die Kraft für den Oberhandgriff noch fehlt, kann es vorteilhaft sein auf Chin Ups zurückzugreifen, da hier mehr aus dem Bizeps und Brustmuskel herausgearbeitet werden kann. People also like to argue about which muscles the two variations train.
Like ANY weight training exercise, both chin ups and pull ups are perfectly safe… unless you do something incorrectly. For me though it’s actually the other way around, which is definitely rare and kinda strange. Much less painful. Interesting and really supports the concept that no two are alike! recent study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-mjThXwvZc.

Tyler Thomas is on a mission to bring evidence-based bodybuilding to the forefront of the fitness industry.

Although chin ups recruit the biceps more than pull ups, according to this article, I actually feel chin ups (or closed-grip lat pulldowns) more in my lats, while wide grips seem to put more load on my biceps. Check it out.

Not only that, but any “lack” of focus on the lats is negligible since you will ultimately be using a single arm for a chin up. The best way to activate your back muscles is to use proper form.