The man began to draw the cathedral to try and help Robert visualize what one looked like. It was beyond my understanding.” (2535), “Imagine a woman who could never see herself as she was seen in the eyes of her loved one. She never forgot it.” (2534), “Over the years, she put all kinds of stuff on tapes and sent the tapes off lickety-split. He may similarly in this short story question the characters’ use of alcohol and drugs as a means both of escape and connection. "Cathedral" is narrated by a man whose wife has invited an old friend to visit their home.

All rights reserved. All of the important quotes from “Cathedral” listed here correspond, at least in some way, to the paper topics above and by themselves can give you great ideas for an essay by offering quotes and explanations about other themes, symbols, imagery, and motifs than those already mentioned and explained.

The man in the story has always had misconceptions of the blind which "came from the movies" (Carver 1). It is the title story of a collection published in 1983: Cathedral.

The unnamed narrator who is the protagonist of the story is an antihero because of some of his undesirable character traits. Copyright © 2012 Paperstarter.com. Rather than repel the reader, however, Carver’s treatment of these issues is adept and he is able to stir up psychological dilemmas within the reader. Raymond Carver’s work has been called, among other things, “dirty fiction.” This might be, at least in part, because he deals with profound themes by exploring the baseness and rawness of the human condition. Consider the various ways in which the narration of “Cathedral” can be considered a casual narration. Alternately, focus on the closing of the story, in which the blind man teaches the narrator how to draw a cathedral, even though he has never seen one.

Thesis Statement/Essay Topic #5: The Metaphors of Blindness. How can I explain what is the irony in "Cathedral"? All this without his having ever seen what the goddamned woman looked like. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. Consider one or more of the reactions that you had to this short story, and explain how Carver manipulates the characters and his plot through raw truthfulness to provoke psychological dilemmas in the reader. Thesis Statement / Essay Topic #3: The Function of the Tapes.

Download thesis statement on Analysis of Raymond Carver's "Cathedral" in our database or order an original thesis paper that will be written by one of our staff writers and …

Log in here. The narrator’s wife is a principal character for at least half of the story, but then she falls asleep on the couch between the blind man and her husband. Write an essay in which you explore and explain the multiple metaphor of blindness in this story. Join now to read this particular paper. At the end of the story, she wakes up and is curious to know what is transpiring between the two men, yet the reader gets the sense that she could not understand even if the men told her. I reached to draw her robe back over her, and it was then that I glanced at the blind man. Thesis Statement / Essay Topic #1: The Psychology of “Cathedral” Raymond Carver’s work has been called, among other things, “dirty fiction.” This might be, at least in part, because he deals with profound themes by exploring the baseness and rawness of the human condition. How could I even begin to describe it?

The many issues faced by the narrator as well as the turn-around experienced at the culmination of the tale are the main idea for the theme of this story and these ideas aid the narrator in eventually collapse to character transformation by simply regarding the literal blind man in a positive … The old friend, Robert, is blind, which the narrator identifies as Robert's defining characteristic.

It was the first story written after finishing What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.

Introduction. Rather than repel the reader, however, Carver’s treatment of these issues is adept and he is able to stir up psychological dilemmas … Write an essay in which you analyze the function of the tapes for each of the three characters. In the movies, the blind moved slowly and never laughed.

This act of creation becomes a meaningful spiritual experience for the two men, and the trust and friendship shown to him by Robert gives the narrator a new meaning to his life. I knew that. Using the essay topics below in conjunction with the list of important quotes at the bottom of the page, you should have no trouble connecting with the text and writing an excellent paper. “It’s really something,” I said. Thesis Statement / Essay Topic #1: The Psychology of “Cathedral”. Our writers are from respected universities. From the first few lines of this story, the reader gets the sense that this is no ordinary tale. Write an essay in which you analyze the role that the wife plays in this story. When Robert asks the narrator to draw a cathedral that is being described by the speaker of the television program they are watching, the narrator finds a brown paper bag on which they can draw with Robert keeping his hand on top of that of the narrator. As Robert, the blind man, entered his life, it was hard for the man to form any bond with, Is this Essay helpful? These thesis statements for Carver’s “Cathedral” offer a short summary of different elements that could be important in an essay but you are free to add your own analysis and understanding of the plot or themes to them. This beats tapes, doesn’t it?” (2539), “She’d turned so that her robe had slipped away from her legs, exposing a juicy thigh. I was in my house.

". Top subjects are Literature, History, and Social Sciences. Already a member?

Taken from his collection of the same name the story is narrated in the first person by an unnamed man and from the beginning of the story the reader realises how detached the narrator is. The title, "Cathedral", is significant because it helps the man envision the life of Robert. The Best Free Resource for Outstanding Essay and Paper Topics, Thesis Statements and Important Quotes. The narrator expresses a certain ambivalence about these tapes; he sees that they bring his wife a great deal of pleasure, yet he can’t really understand them (nor does he want to).

Specifically, explain this shift in the degree of her presence and determine what function it plays in the development of the plot.

Recognition.

But I didn’t feel like I was inside anything. All five incorporate at least one of the themes found in the text and are broad enough so that it will be easy to find textual support, yet narrow enough to provide a focused clear thesis statement. I had the feeling she didn’t like what she saw.” (2537), “They talked of things that had happened to them—to them!—these past ten years. Or, In "Cathedral" by Raymond Carver, the main character discovers that to let go of his own rigid perceptions of the world is the most rewarding choice he can make. For the first time, the narrator feels things, spiritual things, and he has had a meaningful experience.