GMX fired from my Mossberg .308 hit the bull in the rear rib, punched up through the lungs and lodged under the hide in front of the far shoulder. Being a spherical powder, metering is superbly accurate. But these light amounts of propellant slosh around in a .308 Win. While there was no huge velocity difference produced by each primer (24 fps at most), all the standard large rifle primers generated less than 60,000 psi pressure, while the Federal 215M Large Rifle Magnum primer increased pressure to more than 63,000 psi, which again exceeds industry standards. That combination produced a 101 f.p.s. It has established an excellent reputation among match competitors and is often used in 1,000-yard competition. Hornady offers the Super Shock Tipped (SST), the bonded InterBond, the long-range ELD-X and traditional lead-tipped InterLock bullets that are comparatively inexpensive and still work very well. But the recoil of regular .308 Win. I have data for it (hodgdon website) so I'm sure it works fine, but curious if it is better or worse accuracy wise than some of the standbys like Varget, H335, H4895. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. it works great at 48.5 grs with 168gr berger and is now my goto load. Buyers and users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any product or data, whether or not occasioned by seller's negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. A variety of .308 Winchester factory loads were checked for velocity. Dec 8, 2013 #3 fourpower said: I will just give you my load in .308. we cant find varget anywhere around here so I tried cfe. This quality hunting scope offers good optical clarity. However, 200-gr. It seems almost difficult to develop a handload that doesn’t perform well. containers. Thirty-caliber bullet selection is huge and includes versions designed for match target work, varmint and big-game hunting. case. loads shot from a 6-lb. The .308 Winchester is not only a historic battlefield caliber, it is an established match caliber and one of the best all-around North American hunting calibers. and 8 lb. It is not so much an issue of strength or safety but rather function. To keep my .308 rifles shooting, I bought a box of 500 once-fired military surplus 7.62x51 mm NATO cases from Everglades Ammo and Reloading (, Women On Target® Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Ambassadors, NRA Outstanding Achievement Youth Award Presented by Brownells, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Browning BAR: A Classic Semi-Auto Rifle That Still Sells, Pistol-Caliber Pairing: Hi-Point's Affordable Firearms, Mastering the Handgun: A Tried-and-True Method, Trump Administration Grants Military Veterans Free Entrance at National Parks, Berger Hybrid Bullets: A Bonus to Federal Premium, © 2020 National Rifle Association of America. Black bears are no match for the .308 Win. easily picks up the pace shooting larger game and longer distances, but cannot spare any bullet speed for such pursuits. Using bullets from Nosler BT, Sierra SP, Speer SP, Sierra HP, Hornady V-Max, Sierra HPBT, … with the same length barrel won’t exceed those speeds. This scope has recently been improved and upgraded, and it performed flawlessly throughout many shooting sessions. While I had many rifles at my disposal, with barrel lengths ranging from 16.5 to 30 inches, this data was obtained using a Ruger M77 Hawkeye stainless. Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by liberalwithagun, Feb 15, 2012. Bullets such as the, he supply of new cases for handloading remains erratic, and when .308 Win. I have data for it (hodgdon website) so I'm sure it works fine, but curious if it is better or worse accuracy wise than some of the standbys like Varget, H335, H4895. It is always recommended to begin with “start” loads and work up carefully to maximum charges while carefully watching for signs of excess pressure. The .308 Winchester has been chambered in a variety of action types, including the previously mentioned bolt action, lever, pump, semiautomatic and single shots (typically in falling block persuasion). Hodgdon® Powder, IMR® Powder and Winchester® Powder expressly disclaim any and all warranties with respect to any and all products sold or distributed by them, the safety or suitability thereof, or the results obtained including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and/or any other warranty. CFE 223 was one I am looking at as I need a ball powder for best results in my Dillon. Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. Maximum case length for the .308 Winchester is 2.015 inches. Bullets that ration expansion are a better bet for these big animals. AccuBond, Hornady’s 168-gr. The bull pitched off the mountain, but made it only 60 yds. Here is a quick guide to help you get started. Has anyone tried CFE 223 for .308 loads? Die selection may be influenced by which rifle or ammunition will be used. spread over 10 shots. The recoil created by 125-gr. Swift offers the Scirocco II and A-Frame with two distinctly different types of performance, while Sierra and Speer offer more traditional cup-and-core lead tipped bullets that are suitable for the distances that the majority of big game is shot. A black bear came out of the bush at a determined pace for the bait. Repurposing Surplus BrassThe supply of new cases for handloading remains erratic, and when .308 Win. Reasons for choosing it included its respectable accuracy that was often sub-MOA, a 22-inch barrel that is more or less an “average” length and is popular among hunters, top-rated gas protection and durability, which was required for the high volume of shooting associated with the preparation of data. from the 18.5" barrel of a Mossberg MVP Flex rifle in .308 Win. SST bullets paired with 41.0 grs. It should be noted that with a 3.0-grain case capacity variance, not to mention case construction and material variances from one brand to the next, velocities and pressures will change accordingly. Hornady 150-gr. But its “short-action” influence has inspired many additional cartridge designs, including the popular short. While it is not identical to the .308 Winchester, according to the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI), it can be used in sporting rifles chambered for .308 Winchester. A new Weaver Grand Slam 3-12x 42mm (1-inch main tube) variable scope was installed. Two seasons ago, I shot a six-point bull elk as it stood quartering away at 237 yds. Loads fired with 168- to 200-grain bullets were done in conjunction with NoslerCustom cases. of H322 (listed in the load table), is nearly half that of full-measure loads with 150-gr. Bolt-action rifles often handle near maximum loads better than lever actions, such as the Browning BLR 81 and Savage Model 99 (center and right). The consensus is to shoot heavy bullets when hunting large game like elk and giant black bears. You must agree to the terms below before continuing. Thank you for sharing Hodgdon Reloading data. The load still shot fine, although with some vertical stringing. 26" Rem 700 Varmint It is all cleaned, de-primed, trim (checked only, all OK) neck sized only and now re-primed. Bullets that ration expansion are a better bet for these big animals. This would officially become the 7.62x51mm (aka 7.62 NATO) in 1954. Min Charge Max Charge Optimal Charge Bullet Make Bullet Type Again, approach maximum loads with caution. The author harvested this one with a 165-gr. Never substitute any smokeless powder for Black Powder or any Black Powder substitute. For deer hunting, 150-gr. with a near-maximum charge of TAC that fairly well filled a .308 Win. Hornady 9th offers Start 38.3 grains and Max at 45.7 of H-335. For the record, the T65 was an experimental military cartridge designed to replace the .30-06, with development beginning shortly after World War II. Hornady cases were used for developing all load data with bullets ranging in weight from 100 to 165 grains. The advantage is these dies often yield better accuracy and usually result in longer case life; however, loaded cartridges usually have some slight resistance when being chambered. before it fell dead. The bulk of the cases were Lake City, but headstamps also included “FC” (Federal Cartridge) and “RA” (Remington) with the NATO insignia headstamp of a cross in a circle from various years. I've shot a few rounds through my 308 with CFE 223 powder. The 16" barrels of various “scout” rifles lose upwards of 100 f.p.s of velocity compared with the same loads fired through 18.5" barrels, and they give up 125 f.p.s when compared to 22" barrels.