It saddens me that African Americans - when they express their pain, when they protest about police violence, when they question inequality, when they raise issues of bondage and discrimination - African Americans are seen as not patriotic. Constantly being suspected, accused, watched, doubted, distrusted, presumed guilty, and even feared is a burden born by people of color that can't be understood or confronted without a deeper conversation about our history of racial injustice.”, “We’ve all been through a lot, Bryan, all of us. I realized they were broken people, too, even if they would never admit it. She said, 'That's why you've got to be brave, brave, brave.' I think if somebody takes something that doesn't belong to them, they're not just a thief. Hope allows us to push forward even when the truth is distorted by the people in power. What changed things was the rule of law, the courts. They can infect a community, a state, or a nation, and make us blind, irrational, and dangerous.”, “Of course innocent mistakes occur but the accumulated insults and indignations caused by racial presumptions are destructive in ways that are hard to measure. Somebody has to speak when other people are quiet.” -- Bryan Stevenson, “Are you the sum total of your worst acts?” -- Bryan Stevenson, “We are all broken by something. It is a punishment that is shaped by the constraints of poverty, race, geography and local politics.”, “The death penalty symbolizes whom we fear and don't fear, whom we care about and whose lives are not valid.”, “We have a system of justice in [the US] that treats you much better if you're rich and guilty than if you're poor and innocent. “Proximity has taught me some basic and humbling truths, including this vital lesson: Each of us is … We want to end unfair sentences in criminal cases and stop racial bias in criminal justice...Ms. We’ve submitted to the harsh instinct to crush those among us whose brokenness is most visible. You have to get close,”, “All these young children being sent to prison forever, all this grief and violence. I thought of the people who would cheer his death and see it as some kind of victory. She was powerful. And because of that, there's this basic human dignity that must be respected by law.”, “The true measure of our character is how we treat the poor, the disfavored, the accused, the incarcerated, and the condemned.”, “All of our survival is tied to the survival of everyone,”, “There is a strength, a power even, in understanding brokenness, because embracing our brokenness creates a need and desire for mercy, and perhaps a corresponding need to show mercy. Bryan: I now know that hopelessness is the enemy of justice. I grew up in a segregated community: I couldn't go to the public schools, beaches, certain parts of town. The real question of capital punishment in this country is, Do we deserve to kill?”, “We are all broken by something. I feel rich in ways that are unique and that I would never trade for tens of millions of dollars in the bank. It’s when mercy is least expected that it’s most potent—strong enough to break the cycle of victimization and victimhood, retribution and suffering. And because of that, there's this basic human dignity that must be respected by law.” -- Bryan Stevenson, “The true measure of our character is how we treat the poor, the disfavored, the accused, the incarcerated, and the condemned.” -- Bryan Stevenson, “All of our survival is tied to the survival of everyone,” -- Bryan Stevenson, “There is a strength, a power even, in understanding brokenness, because embracing our brokenness creates a need and desire for mercy, and perhaps a corresponding need to show mercy.