As much as I’d love to do it, it’s not safe for me, our crews, or the people we’re interviewing. I haven’t seen my team since Super Tuesday, and haven’t been in 30 Rock since then. Fox has been an amazing place to work.”. “I’m registered as an independent,” Baier told TheDC. We have a decision desk, who are the heart and soul of what we do. In a number of cases, people never cared before about how the process happened but cared about what the outcome was. The way the Democratic Party is framed on Fox News precincts that are out of the control of a guy like Bret Baier. During the 2016 primary cycle, the Erik Wemple Blog, too, argued in favor of a Fox News-DNC debate. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. We are going out of our way this election to not make any presumptions. This election is going to be fascinating; I don't think we have a full sense of who exactly is going to turn out and I think that that's a big question mark this year. Is Bret Baier a liberal or a conservative? “I’m an American, and my interest is in my country, which is the United States of America, and I don’t believe that having tens of millions of people illegally in your country or using social services is good for my country. We live or die by what they say—and they’ll know at some point if it’s too close to call or if we can make a prediction. The host asked whether another country would put up with the crisis. I would imagine that viewers are well aware—those of us you see on camera aren’t the ones who make those determinations. “I can,” Baier said. We’ve asked Fox News whether it mentioned Carlson’s party affiliation in lobbying the DNC for debate opportunities. Too much has changed since then, however. “I think there’s still a scenario where this could be a general election night and we’ll know on that night, but of course we’ve still been preparing for the possibility—not the probability—that this could go on for days, if not weeks. Today, people are more interested in paying attention and pulling back the curtain. We're always prepared to go for the long haul that night, and I think all of us are preparing. There's a lot of sensitivity about this year being different on that front. True to the way the network markets them, Fox News news-side anchors Shepard Smith, Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum are undeclared, though Shannon Bream and Neil Cavuto are … The thing that doesn't change is the number of electoral votes for each state, and the states that are so key to win in order to find that path to victory. An example arose on Wednesday night’s edition of “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” on which the host addressed immigration, by far his most passionate topic. And if they’re such a bad influence, why is Carlson affiliated with them? We’re going to be integrating more than 100,000 voters… we have a range no other network has. A History of Contested Presidential Elections, Celebs Share Voting Selfies Ahead Of The Election, Miles Taylor Reveals He Was the 'Anonymous' Critic, Felicity Huffman & William H. Macy College Scandal, Joe Biden's Photographer on Capturing a Campaign. So, we will have some degree of sort of guard rails and clarity for what we're looking for in terms of direction of vote. Those headquarters may feel different—socially distanced and closely monitored—but in terms of the viewers experience, they’ll get more than ever before. They’re actively against America. There is this Washington, D.C. issue in that there is no real representation for the taxation, hence the license plate.”, When TheDC interjected that he could still vote for president, Baier conceded, “There are presidential elections.”, “But I have not [voted] in the last couple of years,” he went on. Everything is challenging. I think everyone is so keenly aware of all the crises our country is in and in the myths out going into this election that we're all approaching things differently. I think that’s pretty blatantly —”, Jumping right on the point, Carlson said, “Well, they are not for America. To Tucker Carlson, the calculations involving this debate aren’t terribly complicated: It’s a matter of prioritizing those who are already here over those determined to enter without authorization. By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, Media critic with a focus on the ups and downs and downs of the cable-news industry, landed Carlson in trouble with advertisers a couple of months ago, The DNC, we contended, could use the gesture as a talking point. We have a national exit poll in all 50 states and the district of Columbia, we have state-specific exit polls in 24 states, about 800 exit poll interviewers conducting polls across the U.S., we have telephone polls for absentee and mail-in voters nationally, in-person interviews in eight states. Wednesday was a tough day for those at Fox News who maintain some integrity. “I haven’t voted in Washington, D.C. No matter your political affiliation, everyone seems able to agree on one point: this will be an election unlike any other. So, heading into election day, there are a lot of uncertainties, especially in the key battleground States where it could get very tight. I remember in 2016 going on air at three o'clock in the morning; it wasn't until about that time that there was a victory speech. We’ve worked hard on perfecting our polling, and our news gathering is superb. However: “Recent reporting in the New Yorker on the inappropriate relationship between President Trump, his administration and Fox News has led me to conclude that the network is not in a position to host a fair and neutral debate for our candidates. There’s an email that goes out at the end of the night or in the wee hours that comes out from the decision desk that says “goodnight from the decision desk.” These are people who calculate what we’re able to project and what we will or won’t know on that night. Will Joe Biden or Donald Trump Actually Concede? “You know, I don’t really think about myself as a political thing.”, “You’re not a robot,” he added. First of all, we're contacting all of the states to make sure we know how many absentee ballots were requested, how many they have back in by Election Day—we'll have all of those stats. The technical side of that is being done—picking up the phone and calling voters to figure out projections—but in terms of the look and feel of it all, it’ll be different. I think by 11 p.m. EST or so, we’ll get a general sense of whether we’ll be able to call this on election night. Baier succeeded Brit Hume as host of “Special Report” in 2009 at the age of 38. “Doing the research and preparing this year is similar [to past years], but what’s different is that usually I am on the road nonstop, traveling my show, doing remotes, and following the candidates. Viewers will be getting information in the best way possible. Could Baier imagine continuing his role as host of “Special Report” and chief political anchor for the network for another two or three decades? “I mean, it’s the best job I’ve ever had. ... Bret Baier, Fox News. I mean, I don’t think there’s any other — I’m a charitable person. Will there be a huge crowd in Times Square? After all, they're reporting on an election unlike any that's come before, considering the unprecedented numbers of votes cast through the mail and the once-in-a-generation pandemic that's impacted the world and reshaped the tone and content of the race. Therefore, Fox News will not serve as a media partner for the 2020 Democratic primary debates.”. It may be good for theirs, it’s not good for mine,” said Carlson on Wednesday night’s show. You have to be on your game, and I promise you that in and of itself wakes you up.”. Something that all along we’ve been talking our viewers through all along is that this could unfold more like an election week, but something we’re preparing for both possibilities. I was a part of the team that at Fox in 2000 that covered the recount in Tallahassee, and [this year] you have the prospect of having five, six, or seven, Tallahassees—not with hanging chads, but signatures on absentee ballots. We asked Fox News to clarify the host’s thoughts on the matter. On Wednesday’s program, Carlson invited radio host Buck Sexton to agree with him on the situation at the border. Town & Country participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io. That’s a step up from the remark that landed Carlson in trouble with advertisers a couple of months ago: “We have a moral obligation to admit the world’s poor, they tell us, even if it makes our own country poor and dirtier and more divided,” he said. The DNC, we contended, could use the gesture as a talking point: The Democrats are looking to unite this country. “I haven’t voted in Washington, D.C. William Bret Baier (born August 4, 1970) is the host of Special Report with Bret Baier on the Fox News Channel and the chief political correspondent for Fox. But what will it mean in the newsrooms where the fate of our nation is being reported? Host Bret Baier, who would have been front and center at a Fox News Democratic debate, tweeted: Want to know what else is a shame? And for us watching, it it'll look different too. “You have thoughts and feelings about things. We’ve done an extraordinary job of working from home, we’re still interacting and seeing each other and having meetings. No, responded Sexton, who continued, “What you really see … is the Democratic Party is not opposed to illegal immigration. He previously worked as the network's Chief White House Correspondent and Pentagon correspondent. Look at how we partnered with Fox News! Fox News’ chief political anchor and host of “Special Report” discussed his political outlook, or lack thereof, during an extensive interview with The Daily Caller about politics, the media and his new book, “Special Heart: A Journey of Faith, Hope, Courage and Love.”, “I’m registered as an independent,” Baier told TheDC. In a statement, DNC Chairman Tom Perez said the organization had spoken with a “broad array” of media organizations, Fox News included. Bret Baier is host of Fox News' Special Report with Bret Baier and is the network's chief political anchor. The most important news stories of the day, curated by Post editors and delivered every morning. The way the Democratic Party is framed on Fox News precincts that are out of the control of a guy like Bret Baier. We have more people in more places so you’re going to see an expanded team and expanded coverage all over the country. We know a bit about what that will mean for voters: long lines, attempts at early voting, and efforts to mail in ballots, which are being met with varying degrees of success. We have managed to get out a couple of times to Pennsylvania and a couple of swing states, plus the debate sites, but most of the interaction has been over Zoom or online to get a sense of where voters’ heads are. Whether results come in quickly or take days, these broadcast news journalists are prepared for the unexpected. From my experience covering foreign policy and traveling for so many decades, I’m used to being on trips where you cannot sleep—on those military planes it’s just not possible. It can be done safely, but there are risks involved. But the fact is, is that a lot of these early votes—not all, but a lot of them—are by mail. Adam Rathe is a senior editor at Town & Country, covering arts and culture and a range of other subjects. There is this Washington, D.C. issue in that there is no real representation for the taxation, hence the license plate.” When TheDC interjected that he could still vote for president, Baier conceded, “ There are presidential elections.” “This year won't look like your typical election night and we're not thinking about it like it is. We're going to have to walk the viewer through that as some of the touchstones are going to be different.