He made the stars align, and he said, 'Aaron, it’s time for you to do some doo-wop.". Aaron Neville's voice is perfect for recreating some of the earliest songs I heard when I first started listening to rock and roll. [2], Lavender's green, diddle, diddle, (2014). These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. At 3 o’clock in the morning, I wake up with a doo-wop song going in my head and I can’t go back to sleep because I’m singing it over and over.". must lie together. [11] And on their 1985 album Misplaced Childhood, the British band Marillion recorded a song called "Lavender", which had lyrics derived from the folk song and became a number 5 hit on the UK singles chart. [12][13], English folk song and nursery rhyme dating to the 17th century, A 17th-century broadside version of the ballad, Diddle, Diddle: Or, The Kind Country Lovers, "Diddle, Diddle (or The Kind Country Lovers)", "Billboard Best Sellers Chart History – "Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly)" by Sammy Kaye 1949", "Billboard Hot 100 Chart History – "Lavender-Blue" by Sammy Turner 1959", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lavender%27s_Blue&oldid=983132123, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 12 October 2020, at 12:40. So if it didn’t fall in that category before, then it does now!". There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. He adds, though, that his recent relocation to New York City after losing his home to Hurricane Katrina, and his recent marriage, gives MY TRUE STORY additional significance. I don't know if you can expect men over the age of 60 to have the testosterone level, or the psychology, of 18 year olds. But this band was ready for anything, they were jumping on it, and everything came out so easy.". ", Neville explains that having internalized this music so deeply, he was able to show the musicians the genuine old-school feel that these songs require. [5], Burl Ives' hit version, titled "Lavender Blue", was featured in the Walt Disney film So Dear to My Heart,[6] and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song. Sold by Bridge_Media and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. As an aficionado and collector of vocal group music and a big fan of Aaron Neville, I was excited to hear his latest CD produced by Keith Richards and Don Was. "We had these sessions where we'd all sit down with the record producer, manager, and listen to material," said Ted Bluechel. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 17, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 15, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 17, 2013. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, + No Import Fees Deposit & $8.98 Shipping to United Kingdom. since I came hither, Aaron Neville is one of the finest vocalists alive today, maybe of all time. Lavender's blue Randy Newman lyrics - 196 song lyrics sorted by album, including "You've Got A Friend In Me", "If I Didn't Have You", "Blue Shadows On The Trail". Whitney Houston carried half of a soundtrack that won the 1992 Album of the Year Grammy award in her definitive peak. Deep dark swing and groove vocal music. My Best Friend's Baby's Baby and My Baby's Baby. Neville really captures the feel of Work With Me Annie, Money Honey, Ting A Ling and Ruby Baby and made me long for the days of the dirty bop. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Please try again. Highlights include: "My True Story" (his vibrato works well with this ballad), the energetic "Ruby Baby", "Gypsy Woman" (Curtis Mayfield would be proud), and the Pomus - Shuman songs "This Magic Moment" and "True Love". Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. "Anything I do has got some doo-wop in it. "He's a great artist, a guy with integrity and excellence and authenticity—and that’s what the label is really about.". But, the guys let it sneak on by. Subsequently there was a revival of interest in the song, several versions of which have been released in the US and the UK and achieved success in the charts. But Neville explains that for him, it's not the calendar that matters, it's the vocal approach. "Lavender's Blue" (sometimes called "Lavender Blue") is an English folk song and nursery rhyme dating to the 17th century. Disappointing Lack of Energy on Too Many Tracks, Reviewed in the United States on March 2, 2013. These are homages of youth by mature males. "On songs like 'Ting a Ling' and 'Work with Me, Annie,' I had to kind of dance the groove I wanted," he says with a broad smile. The other musicians include Greg Leisz on guitar (Beck, Sheryl Crow), Benmont Tench on organ (founding member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), George G. Receli on drums (Bob Dylan), and Tony Scherr on bass (Bill Frisell, Norah Jones). Such instances are noted. The lyrics printed in the broadside are fairly bawdy, celebrating sex and drinking. I think God knew I wanted to do it and he waited for the right moment. Please add more if you find them! If you make this mid-century black-male vocal music more complicated, you would be making into something else. The backing vocal group, including Eugene Pitt (former lead singer of The Jive Five) and Bobby Jay (formerly with Frankie Lymon's Teenagers), is excellent as is the instrumental support. Unable to add item to List. If you have been listening to the drastic and extreme alpha-male music of the last 30 years, then I can imagine that you might not be able to hear, or feel, the heart of this sweet gift. [3] The broadside indicates it is to be sung to the tune of "Lavender Green", implying that a tune by that name was already in existence.