I have to admit, I did not think my son would like it. Question 2: Why does the poet say it is not good to be a rebel oneself? After the war ended, Emma was given a honorable discharge from the army and a life-long pension. Graphia; Reissue edition (August 1, 2001), Reviewed in the United States on February 7, 2016. During training that day, Emma and her fellow recruits had been put through the paces—marching for hours in the hot Virginia sun, priming and firing their weapons endlessly and … It’s also a great book to do a book report on or something for school. See search results for this author. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Her "ultra-egos" are WONDERFUL! In the end, the story was diluted with with missing emotions and details. Behind Rebel Lines: The Incredible Story of Emma Edmonds, Civil War Spy by Seymour Reit. I am glad she finally got recognized for what she did . LEGAL. Suspenseful. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published This was a no nonsense, straight forward true story of a women who pretended to be a man so she could join the Union Army. And it just is such an interesting a quick read. This is a really interesting and quick biography of Emma Edmonds, a daring woman who went undercover as a man during the Civil War—first as a combat nurse, and then as a Union spy sneaking over enemy lines to gather information for Union generals. I am a foreign language and culture/history teacher, a military veteran, and a Civil War buff. Privacy Policy. This is the true story of Emma Edmonds, who was a Civil War spy and true hero for the Union army. She was the only woman admitted to that hall of fame, and she sure deserved to be put in it. She was not alone. For the next two years, she periodically volunteered or was recruited for subversive operations. Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit is an information packed book but also has a great story line. August 1st 2001 Please try again. She had a slender build and had short cropped hair. View Product [ x ] close. They are carried by companies, batteries, or detachments. If no. It starts off with Emma Edmonds from Canada in, 1860, who desperately wants to help her country and fight in the Civil War for the union side. Ran away from home in Canada and enlisted in the military disg…, Wife of an Army chaplain who became close to Emma. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Emma had always climbed the highest tree and rode the fastest horse. Pvt. This book is very short but it used her memoirs and the records from the military. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. When she stood in line at the recruiting station in Flint, Michigan, she feared she would be exposed as a woman. She goes with all of the other men to volunteer to help in the war. Despite that fact the congress still felt that she should be put in pretty much the Civil War hall of fame. Her refusal to be limited by societal restrictions rings as important today as in the 19th century.. She is a woman who disguises herself as a man to serve in the Union Army during the United States Civil War.I found the story to be personally inspirational. I'd say this is a decent beginning to discovering how women dealt with overcoming and outmanoeuvring the social limitations put on women at the time. This Study Guide consists of approximately 27 pages of chapter summaries, quotes, character analysis, themes, and more - Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit, tells the true story of Emma Edmonds, who in April of 1861, answered the rallying cry of President Abraham Lincoln, who called upon the young men of America to join in the Union effort during the Civil War. to burn slowly without bursting into flames. The Confederate troops were more skilled and able than first thought. Pvt. She fulfilled s. Emma Edmonds was a Canadian woman who duped the Union Army into believing she was a man. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. This was a no nonsense, straight forward true story of a women who pretended to be a man so she could join the Union Army. It's part biography, part non fiction/fiction, part memoir. a person chosen to conduct religious exercises for the military, the chapel of an institution or a fraternal organization. I liked that she didn't give up when she went on her spy trips and that she got a souvenier for the trips. I love this book and the woman's courage. Some were sick... (read more from the Chapter 2: March 19, 1862 Summary), Get Behind Rebel Lines: The Incredible Story of Emma Edmonds, Civil War Spy from Amazon.com. everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of Behind Rebel Lines. This book shows that women are strong, capable, and proficient. It felt like the author didn't do enough research, the asute young reader will discover holes in the story's believability. I like that she was creative and came up with different types of outfits and disguises. Emma was twenty-one at the time. Plot Summaries. Good YA for a Social Studies or History student. Emma decided she would pose as a man and join the Army. by HMH Books for Young Readers, Behind Rebel Lines: The Incredible Story of Emma Edmonds, Civil War Spy. I was surprised (and happy) to know about Emma Edmonds, a spy for the Union side in the Civil War. It starts off with Emma Edmonds from Canada in, 1860, who desperately wants to help her country and fight in the Civil War for the union side. I read this in my history class and enjoyed it very much. Speech too showy or fancy for the occasion. She was fatigued and was accused by the sergeant of holding her musket "like a mop." a separate room in a hospital, typically one allocated to a particular type of patient. Disguised as a man (the author shares that as many as 400 women served during the Civil War as men) she worked first as a nurse and then became a spy. Welcome back. Emma didn't want this reputation for herself so she went back told the truth about what happened, exposing that she was a woman. Emma loved her new country, and when President Lincoln called on the young men of America to volunteer for the Army at the start of the Civil War, Emma decided she wanted to help the cause and to protect and save the nation that she had grown to love. I absolutely loved this book because it never got boring! The fractured relationship between Emma and her father led her, at sixteen years of age, to run away from home. Very good historical read about a woman disguising herself as a man during the Civil War. McClellan didn't like attacking without knowing the enemy's plan so he used spies to infiltrate the Confederate camps. Her "ultra-egos" are WONDERFUL! She goes with all of the other men to volunteer to help in the war. I need chapter summaries. I really like Emma and look up to her. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Teen & Young Adult Canadian Historical Fiction, Teen & Young Adult United States Colonial & Revolutionary Periods History, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Yes, I saw some of the reviews that criticized the book as being a series of discreet adventures rather than completely woven story of Emma Edmonds' life.