If there is no person, there is no artist”. Ultimately, Asher’s view of his own gift is distorted by his father’s blindness and lack of understanding as he emphasizes in the quotation, “It is the Other Side, I told myself. When one person starts to question within the community, the entire community gets affected. Home — Essay Samples — Business — Conflict — The Struggle in Chaim Potok’s My Name is Asher Lev. Asher’s internal struggle with finding his identity and learning to accept that his art will hurt and confuse others does not deter him from the fact that he must continue his journey of becoming a great artist with gifts given to him from the Ribbono Shel Olom; one who paints the anguish of all the world in order to give balance to the universe and his conscience. Analyse their significance in My Name Is Asher Lev. My Name Is Asher Lev is a novel by Chaim Potok, an American author and rabbi. Set in a tightly knitted Jewish community in Brooklyn, Chaim Potok successfully depicted a young boy torn between his orthodox Jewish tradition and his passion for art in his best seller My Name is Asher Lev. Although one may seem to think that Asher’s gift comes from the sitra achra, the themes of irony and blindness reveal deeper concepts which confirm the fact that Asher’s gift comes from the Ribbono Shel Olom. Huzzah. (2017, Mar 27). His individuality has him disobeying the Rebbe, the mashphia, his mythic ancestor as well as his parents. We’ve got you covered. Asher Lev's choices in this novel serve to estrange Asher from the only world he knew growing up, the Jewish community. Unlike what Aryeh believes, Asher does not seem like he will ever hang his kippah as he does still holds on to the traditions he has grown up with. Potok writes, “About an hour after supper, it began to snow heavily. She is his inspiration and can be viewed in his latest works. The first agent of change in Asher was his mother. When he was little and his mother was sick it was depicted as sad and dreary. If not for her interest and love towards Asher's drawings as well as their trips to the museum and her buying most of the art supplies, Asher would not have had the support he needed to go on instead of giving in to his heritage. Q1: Why does Asher move to Florence in the latter part of the book? Prof. Michael Amey Asher’s encompassed the idea that “an artist is a person first. Available from: https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/the-struggle-in-chaim-potoks-my-name-is-asher-lev/, Recieve 100% plagiarism-Free paper just for 4.99$ on email, *Public papers are open and may contain not unique content. Potok starts off with the main character delivering three short sentences that set up the basis for the entire book. On one side there is the family's beliefs, the religious traditions and his great ancestor role-model, who Asher is expected to take after, if not surpass. Asher's father and grandfather took their religion as a job and I don't think Asher wanted to let them down by not being an observant Jew. Often, like when Asher’s father returns from home after being away at work, his father “did not greet [him]”. Jacob Kahn talks about an artist's need for travel, so Asher goes to Europe to find subjects for paintings. The human psyche is an incredibly complex system. April 11, 2019 by Essay Writer. for PG8,Your thesis looks good, but it is not as focused as the statement before it. A1: He's probably going to travel. Chaim Potok's Asher Lev is a dual being trapped inside a little boy. The Rebbes of the Jews is the man whose members of the community go, “Asher Lev, an artist is a person first. These Hasidic communities are very conservative in many aspects; they care deeply and influence their members in a lot of decisions they make in life.