cold air return register and into the basement. Maybe a university program would be interested, especially with the long documented history at your property. ... to huge round rotundas that took up one corner of the basement. wagon. There, it was Center duct vents to chimney. Rear view: White painted asbestos insulated arms supply heat. Should I clear the dirt and explore? The following assets contain unreleased and/or restricted content. Alamy and its logo are trademarks of Alamy Ltd. and are registered in certain countries. See heat homes in the winter. Most people heated with coal up through 1960s; some We need more historically-minded people such as yourself to preserve the rapidly-vanishing physical history of this country. Is it possible that there is no dedicated intake and that the air being pulled into the furnace is simply from the basement itself, and therefore contaminated with asbestos from the ducts? Two ranges are the main course of the 1910-1925 kitchen at Maymont in Richmond, Virginia. COAL USE IN HOMES OR BUSINESSES, OF COAL MINES, MINERS High on one wall of the coal bin room was a wooden door, or a small rectangular casement window. If delivered, the driver (or All my asbestos ducts had been safely encapsulated with paint making them appear like new. The tenets bought the house the next year and kept the house just like it was. It’s sponsor back in the late 30’s-early 40’s was Blue Coal. I think what most people overlook is that some of the “inefficiencies” of older heat systems had a purpose. The British specialize in freezing and shivering. final materials distributed inside your organization, any materials distributed outside your organization, any materials distributed to the public (such as advertising, marketing). Over Night setback thermostats saw renewed interest. Even without war's delaying progress, many families simply could not Post electric refrigeration and automobiles:  The wagon was owners chose to convert coal furnaces to gas, but the old pot belly cast I lived there for a year and rented. The stoker sat next to the furnace. Very interesting article! Everything had to be completely DRY to burn. The air in the rooms is always fresh. 1912) lived in Bentleyville, Pa., and her https://www.oldhouseguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/1942-american-standard-sunbeam-gravity-furnace-manual.pdf, Please contact me regarding your furnace. , Looking for parts for a sunbeam octopus no.A -1044-CD need plate that coversthedonut on top. The trend continued through the 1940s and into the post-war years, when ranges became blessed with as many timers, automatic controls, and gadgets as the new automobile-driven economy could connive—a fitting domestic food preparation station for the atomic-era lifestyle to come. In another tug of war, electric appliance manufacturers made their own leap into the cooker market with electric ranges. The growth of American coal and iron mining in the 1820s made cast iron the wonder material of the 19th century and led to a prolific industry in making stoves for cooking as well as heating. Soon gas and oil fired versions of forced air furnaces would relieve the homeowners from the chore of “stoking the coal fire” and relegate coal furnaces and cast iron radiators to the dust bin of history. These dumps My e-mail address is dopahensley@gmail.com – Thank you for your cooperation and support. A short, metal, 3 to 4 prong rake Wood smoke, coal smoke, and chemicals and sulfur from the pulp mill were part of our lives. Background about home heating with coal. Nice work-thank you for posting your project and most importantly your reasoning behind it! etc. January 17, 2014 by Ken Roginski 104 Comments. New home owner here! When you make modifications to anything historic or potentially historic you need to consider its future and making your changes reversible. Sitemap. Feed door open showing fire pit and bricks heating. I have an old coal boiler with the name “Hercules” on it. of the furnace were holes over which duct work was connected, extending and cookie policy to learn more about the cookies we use and how we use your Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand. were headed by the very miners who spent everyday underground to mine Other families opened their slanted fittings to secure the wire into the wood. May 1, 2007. In the back, an opening fit a pipe Upstairs, rooms had 2 types of registers. This coal burning octopus furnace was converted to oil sometime during the 1950’s when oil was very cheap and popular. No other data or images may be In the tight times of the Depression, some manufacturers suggested their ranges might even double as tables. Also made of iron and sheet steel, these old stoves were light and portable with a styling not unlike the treadle sewing machines of the day.